Sonia is a Psychologist (Universidad de Los Andes) living in Cali, Colombia. After graduation she was granted a Fulbright Scholarship to pursue a Master’s degree in Community Counseling (Lehigh University, USA). During her first 5 years of professional practice, she worked as a psychotherapist with addicted and HIV populations. Later, she worked for over 22 years as a health and clinical psychologist at Fundación Valle del Lili (Cali) - a large and comprehensive medical center serving the southern region of Colombia. There she assisted clients with mental health concerns related mainly to depression, anxiety, obesity, eating disorders and illness.
Through the study of mindfulness and meditation, she became particularly interested in trauma, mind-body therapies and neuroscience oriented psychotherapy, which led her to Gabor Maté and to be trained in CI.
Sonia’s constant interest has been to deepen the understanding of trauma and its impact on several levels, to keep sharpening her clinical skills as a psychotherapist and to contribute spreading Gabor’s teachings in her home country. She currently works in private practice (in-person and online).
Other Certified Training
- Psychologist (Universidad de Los Andes, 1989)
- M.Ed Community Counseling (Lehigh University, 1993)
- The Eckhart Tolle’s Retreat for Helping Professionals (USA, 2015)
- Diploma in Gardens Design (Pontificia Universidad Javeriana de Cali, 2016)
- Participant. 31st Annual International Trauma Conference (2020) Sponsored by the Trauma Research Foundation and Bessel Van Der Kolk
- Returning to Ourserves - The Wisdom of Trauma, led by Gabor Maté and Betsy Polatin (2020)
- Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner (2020)
-Teacher of Mindfulness for Health (Pending - Respira Vida Breathworks, Spain)
addiction, anxiety, chronic pain, depression, eating disorders, illness, trauma