Compassionate Inquiry is an international program that has trained over 2700 participants from more than 84 countries, who continue to make a positive difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities.
- Would you like to develop trauma-informed skills as a therapist or health care provider?
- Have you been impacted by the teachings and modelling of Dr. Gabor Maté?
- Would you like to be part of an international community of Compassionate Inquiry Practitioners?
- Would you benefit from a year-long therapeutic peer support and practice group?
- Are you willing to spend the next year learning and practicing a new therapeutic modality?
If you said YES to any of these, read on …
A Free Information Session was held with Sat Dharam Kaur on Novemmber 5, 2022 to clarify your questions about all our offerings
Compassionate Inquiry gently uncovers and releases the layers of childhood trauma, constriction and suppressed emotion embedded in the body, that are at the root of illness and addiction.
We all long to be seen, heard, understood and loved. We heal when we feel safe in relationship, connected to our bodies, our breath, the present moment, and one another. Only when we experience connection to ourselves and others, can we open up to our vulnerability and emotions, and discover and express what is true for us. This expression is what heals us.
The goal of Compassionate Inquiry is to bring compassion, respect, acceptance, insight, healing, freedom and connection to humanity through an international community of skillful Compassionate Inquiry Practitioners.
Learn more about the Professional Online Training
Creators of Compassionate Inquiry®
Dr. Gabor Maté, is a retired physician, bestselling author, an internationally renowned speaker and the creator of the Compassionate Inquiry approach to psychotherapy.
Dr. Gabor Maté evolved this therapeutic approach over 20 years of his personal journey, and from his work with patients in family practice, palliative care, and addiction. He developed his system further while facilitating integration workshops focused on healing trauma through the use of psychedelics.
Sat Dharam Kaur ND has supported Dr. Gabor Maté in structuring the Compassionate Inquiry approach and developing the online training.
Sat Dharam is a naturopathic doctor, teacher and author, who combines naturopathic medicine with Compassionate Inquiry, yoga, breathing practices and meditation to support others in healing and integrating mind, body and spirit.
In this Program You Will Learn
- To cultivate presence, being with what is
- To bring attention to body signals in clients and yourself
- To enhance your perception of what is not being revealed overtly
- To enable clients to access emotional states through body awareness
- To create and maintain a safe sacred space between client and therapist
- To facilitate the expression of what has remained unexpressed
- To keep a client engaged in present moment experience
- The importance of patience, respect and choice in the therapeutic process
- To uncover early traumatic events of childhood and unconscious feeling states through Compassionate Inquiry
Be Prepared for a Deep Dive
The intensity of this program will be triggering for many, if not all participants, and will include an investigation of sometimes difficult emotional states originating in childhood.
This program is designed to train therapists and health professionals, and is not meant to be a container for personal therapy.
Due to the depth of the work, we require that all participants be simultaneously engaged in regular personal therapy with a therapist of their choice.
At least 12 therapy sessions a year, or one per month, are a requirement for course completion.
The Professional Training Program is for:
- Mental health professionals
- Health care professionals
- Allied health professionals
- Medical doctors
- Naturopathic physicians
- Fitness and life coaches
- Addiction counsellors
- Plant medicine shamans
- Social workers
- Yoga therapists
- Meditation teachers
- First Nations counsellors and elders
- Traditional healers
- Psychedelic integration therapists
Applications are open for the February 2023 Professional Online Training
To receive notifications and updates for the upcoming cohorts and events, you may subscribe to our newsletter here.
The next program runs from February 6, 2023 to February 25, 2024.
(Additional trainings in 2023 will begin on May 22 and Sept 18).
The regular fee for the Professional Online Training: $3800 CAD.
To convert to your local currency, click here.
The application is to confirm your eligibility. There is a $50 non-refundable application fee which is required only once, even if you apply for subsequent trainings. If your application has been accepted, you will be invited to register and pay for the full program.
Regular applications close on December 15, 2022. You will receive a notice by December 20th, 2022 if you have been accepted.
Final registration and payment closes on Sunday, January 8th, 2023.
Subsidy Application (Closes November 20, 2022):
The Course Includes:
- Over 30 hours of video recorded demonstration and teaching by Dr. Gabor Maté
- Over 50 videotaped recordings and transcripts of Dr. Gabor Maté modelling Compassionate Inquiry with clients
- Over 600 pages of transcripts of five 2-day Compassionate Inquiry workshops
- 8 modules of teachings on safety, attunement, trauma, triggers, attachment, authenticity, diagnoses and more … plus a recommended reading list for each module
- 16 narrated powerpoints with a summary by Sat Dharam Kaur
- At least fifty 60-90 minute practice sessions in dyads and triads with course participants, scheduled by you according to your availability
- Twenty-seven 90 minute online biweekly small group sessions to review the modules, led by an experienced Facilitator.
- Regular Q & A zoom calls with Dr. Gabor Maté and Sat Dharam Kaur to explore the material deeply.
- Monthly Facilitated Workshops to witness Compassionate Inquiry in practice, and to hear feedback
- Over 240 hours in total of engagement with peers, online facilitators, live Zoom calls with Dr. Gabor Maté, and video recordings
In addition to the in-depth course content, you will receive:
Over 180 hours of live engagement through:
- Meeting weekly with peers
- Biweekly meetings with online facilitators
- Approximately 8 live group Zoom calls with Dr. Gabor Maté and/or Sat Dharam Kaur per year
- Live monthly workshops and guest lectures, with access to video recordings
Participants who complete the program requirements will receive a Certificate of Completion for the 240 hour, year-long Compassionate Inquiry Professional Training.
Meet Your Facilitators
Our team has over 25 highly trained, skilled and experienced facilitators who will support your learning throughout the training. Take a peek at their profiles here:
How You Will Benefit
This comprehensive Compassionate Inquiry course will help you:
- Develop 11 essential qualities within yourself to be an effective therapist
- Practice 9 experiential breathing exercises to enhance personal development
- Benefit from practical tools including the Compassionate Inquiry Map and the chart of Feelings vs Perceptions
- Learn how to maintain safety in the therapeutic container
- Become more aware of the verbal and non-verbal cues of your clients
- Learn the 7 Pillars of Compassionate Inquiry
- Learn and practice the 22 skills required in Compassionate Inquiry
- Discover and master the cycle of 17 Stepping Stones used in the line of inquiry
- Become more effective in working with clients
- Nurture compassion for all parts of yourself and others
- Free yourself from unconscious beliefs that run your life
- Connect to your in-the-present-self
- Become more attuned to both the messages from your body, and to your clients
You will be given a link to select your time slot after you register and pay for the course. The time slots below are ones currently available for the biweekly meetings for the February 2023 Cohort. Time slots are subject to change.
All time slots are listed in ET / Toronto time. Convert to your timezone here.
Testimonial from a Past Participant
I tapped into so much of myself this year, peeling back layers I didn’t know were shielding parts of me that were waiting to be uncovered, witnessed, and healed. I feel like I am returning home to my self. Listening to the wisdom of my body. Allowing my voice to be heard, stepping into the spotlight, finding my power. By showing up in the world exactly as I am with the gifts I have to offer, I can change the world in a way that no one else can. I can be as bold and as colourful as I desire. I don’t have to apologize for taking up the space that I deserve. By accepting that I am ever growing, I give myself permission to be vulnerable and imperfect, and show up confidently as my complete authentic self.
– L.C., Wellness Practitioner
Who You Will Meet and How You Can Connect
You won’t complete this journey alone. Along the way, you’ll have support from and contact with others, including:
- Weekly 60-90 min practice sessions on Zoom with members of your biweekly group, in dyads and triads
- 90 minutes each on Zoom with your biweekly facilitator and interns, during 27 bi-weekly meetings.
- Dr. Gabor Maté and Sat Dharam Kaur, during regularly scheduled group Zoom calls for Q & A
- Your online cohort of approximately 17 other health professionals
- Your peers with whom you will practice Compassionate Inquiry throughout the year
- The team of Compassionate Inquiry Facilitators, whom you will meet during monthly Facilitated Workshops and Module Discussion Groups to observe online facilitators model Compassionate Inquiry, as well as Level 3 course participants who both model Compassionate Inquiry and receive feedback
- The larger Compassionate Inquiry Community through a closed Facebook group, online forum and Compassionate Inquiry Focus Groups
- Monthly Discussion Groups to talk about the module material in breakout rooms
- Additional guest workshops and module reviews
BIPOC Biweekly Group
With each cohort, we offer a time slot for anyone who is not defined as white. This is an opportunity to go through the Compassionate Inquiry year long program with Black, Indigenous, People of Colour. This is for anybody who is defined as Black, African, Asian/Pacific Islander, South East Asian, Native Hawaiian, Latinx, Arab/Middle Eastern. This is inclusive of biracial, mixed heritage people who have two or more grandparents from the above list. This group will be facilitated by a BIPOC Facilitator, and will run every other Tuesday, from 11:00am to 12:30pm ET (Toronto time zone). If you are BIPOC, you have a choice of joining this group or a regular biweekly group.
Indigenous Biweekly Group
We will be offering a time slot (Saturdays from 11am-12:30pm ET) for indigenous people in the February 2023 Cohort. Indigenous people are First Nation, Inuit and Metis people, both status and non-status, who self-identify, and can accurately name their community/Nation/lineage. If you are indigenous you have a choice of being placed in an indigenous-only biweekly group or a regular group. The indigenous group will be facilitated by a non-indigenous person. Our intention is to support and train indigenous facilitators to lead these groups in the future.
LGBTQIA2S+ Biweekly Group
We will be hosting a biweekly group in our year-long training for folks who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and/or Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, Two-Spirit, and countless affirmative ways in which people choose to self-identify (LGBTQIA2S+). This group will be led by a facilitator who identifies as lesbian and has been an active member of the community since coming out in 1993. The intention of this group is to support participants in authentically and compassionately connecting deeply with self and one another in a safe and affirming space. The group meets Tuesdays at 6pm (EST) for the February 2023 cohort. If you are a member of the LGBTQIA2S+ community, you have a choice of joining this group or a regular biweekly group.
If you don’t currently qualify?
We invite you to apply after you have completed or are certified in a training that allows you to legally work with clients in your country, using counselling. Examples of such training are Addiction Counselling, accredited Psychotherapy Training, a Life Coach Certification training, or formal University studies in health sciences or psychology at a Masters level.
- If you are not a health professional, and you are interested in learning Compassionate Inquiry, or if you are a health professional and are currently a student or are not practicing with clients, you may enrol in the Compassionate Inquiry Self-Study Short Course.
- If you are not a health professional, and you are keen on experiencing Compassionate Inquiry, consider enrolling in one of our Compassionate Inquiry Circles. They are interactive, facilitated, experiential online support groups that introduce participants to key concepts and practices in Compassionate Inquiry, and initiate the process of Self-Inquiry.
Your Commitment to Mastery:
The program only works, if you work on it! As part of this select group of individuals, you’ll be expected to:
- Dedicate a minimum of 8 hours a week engaging with the material and practice
- Have a reliable internet connection with enough bandwidth for video
- Read the online course material pdfs and watch the videos of Dr. Gabor Maté teaching and modelling Compassionate Inquiry
- Complete the short quizzes for the videos in each module
- Attend weekly 60-90 minute skill-building sessions with your peers, practicing the elements of Compassionate Inquiry, for a total of 5O sessions or more within the year
- Be prepared for your bi-weekly group meeting by answering the home practice questions provided for each module
- Attend 27 bi-weekly 90 minute Zoom group calls with your online facilitator and maintain at least 80% attendance
- Complete at least 25 case study forms
- Complete a comprehensive Competency Assessment Form for yourself
After completing the Professional Online Training Program you can apply for:
The Compassionate Inquiry Mentorship Program will develop your skills further. It is necessary to complete the Mentorship Program in order to apply to become a certified Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner. To be eligible for the Mentorship Program, you will need to:
- Be registered with a professional regulatory body that includes counselling within its scope of practice, and that provides you with a membership number and a code of ethics to abide by
- Be legally able to practice Compassionate Inquiry® within your professional scope of practice and in your jurisdiction
- Have liability insurance that covers Compassionate Inquiry®, unless it is unavailable in your country
- Have an active clinical practice, currently seeing clients and using Compassionate Inquiry with them (minimum 3 per week)
The online Compassionate Inquiry training program is so thorough and comprehensive that accredited doctoral level courses that I have taken pale in comparison. The Compassionate Inquiry approach is a powerful synthesis of multiple psychotherapeutic approaches I find to be most helpful in working with those who suffer from addiction and trauma. The synergistic combination of videos, written content, online meetings, and triad work together has been deeply transformational personally and professionally. The way I work with clients has been forever enriched and is now guided by the Stepping Stones so that we are able to get to the core issues that have seeded their addictions, in order to gain insight, heal, and move into sustainable recovery from self-defeating patterns. Dr. Gabor Maté and Sat Dharam Kaur are a powerhouse team whose authenticity, genuineness, and commitment to creating and delivering an exceptional program shines through in this masterfully delivered collaboration.
– W.H., Clinical Psychologist, Professor in Addiction Studies
Annual Program Start Dates:
- The Professional Online Training runs for one year
- There are 3 cohort start dates each year, beginning in February, May and September
- In 2023 the start dates are February 6, May 22 and September 18
One Time Payment
6 Monthly Payments
$4000 CAD if paying monthly in 6 payments of $666.66 CAD.
Payments are due monthly for 6 months, including the first payment
10 Monthly Payments
$4000 CAD if paying monthly in 10 payments of $400 CAD.
Payments are due monthly for 10 months, including the first payment
To convert to your local currency, click here.
Note on payment plan:
Members will be charged monthly until the number of payments is reached (6 payments of $666.66 scheduled automatically or 10 payments of $400 scheduled automatically).
The first payment will be processed immediately after checkout on the date of registration. We are unable to change these scheduled payments and expect that they will be paid on time. Late or missed payments result in you losing access to the course materials
Your monthly payment date cannot be changed once your initial installment is made (payment will come out on this date each month)
If your monthly installment is not made on the regularly scheduled payment date, you will automatically lose access to the online platform with the course materials
There are no refunds after the first 4 weeks, therefore monthly payments will continue until paid in full
If you wish to withdraw from the training after the first 4 weeks of the course, you are still responsible for completing your monthly payments until paid in full
- There is an additional cost of $150 CAD to receive CE credits if you live in the US – see below
- The year long professional online training does not include certification as a Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner. Participants who complete the program requirements will receive a Certificate of Completion. A separate 6 month Compassionate Inquiry Mentorship Program and Certification Review process are required to become certified as a Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner, for an additional cost
- Individual or group mentorship from Compassionate Inquiry Mentors is available to you, at an additional charge, while you are in the online training
Private Compassionate Inquiry therapy sessions are also available with Compassionate Inquiry Practitioners (who are not your online facilitator) either before you begin the training, or while you are in the training.
- Compassionate Inquiry Inc is approved by the Canadian Psychological Association to offer continuing education for psychologists. The training is approved for 240 CE Credits
- Compassionate Inquiry Inc maintains responsibility for the program.
- The Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA) has approved the Compassionate Inquiry Professional Online Program for 240 CE Credits. Download this CCPA CE Form
- Health Coach Alliance welcomes the Compassionate Inquiry Professional Online Program as an approved CEC Provider
- Attendants of the program will be awarded 40 continuing education credits upon completion and successfully passing the quizzes in the training. Proof of course completion will be required for members to obtain credits
For those in the US:
Information on Continuing Education Credit for Health Professionals
- CE credits for psychologists are provided by the Spiritual Competency Academy (SCA) which is co-sponsoring this program. The Spiritual Competency Academy is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. SCA maintains responsibility for this program and its content
- The California Board of Behavioural Sciences accepts CE credits for LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFT license renewal for programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association
- LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFTs, and other mental health professionals from states other than California need to check with their state licensing board as to whether or not they accept programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association
- SCA is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN Provider CEP16887) for licensed nurses in California. RNs must retain this document for 4 years after the course concludes
- SCA is an approved CE provider for National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coaches (CEP Number 100196)
- For questions about enrolling in CE or receiving your Certificate of Attendance, please contact [email protected]
- For other questions about CE contact David Lukoff, PhD at
- The cost for those who would like to receive CE credits is $150 CAD. You will be given a link for this option when you finish the training
Application and Registration Process
Our goal is to bring compassion, respect, acceptance, insight, healing, freedom and connection to humanity through an international community of skillful Compassionate Inquiry practitioners. The Compassionate Inquiry Professional Online Training is an intensive graduate level certification program designed to enhance the skills and effectiveness of professionals already working with clients. Applicants must be professionals currently in practice so that the skills learned in this program can be applied and developed further throughout the year-long training. Applications are approved on a case-by-case basis.
Compassionate Inquiry® Preparatory Course – Safety in Connection
Applicants with less experience in psychotherapy, mindfulness and/or somatic work will be invited to attend a 4 session online Compassionate Inquiry Preparatory Course highlighting Safety in Connection to prepare them for the intensity of the training, and for working in dyads/triads with emotionally sensitive material. This prep course will be offered as additional sessions during the first two months of the training for those who self-select to take it, or for those who are recommended to attend by their biweekly facilitator or interns.
Compassionate Inquiry Recommended Reading
To prepare for the training, you may want to get started on reading some of the following books, which will provide context for much of what you will learn.
- When the Body Says No by Dr. Gabor Maté
- A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose by Eckhart Tolle
- The Diamond Heart: Book One by Almaas.
- The Presence Process by Michael Brown
- The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel Van Der Kolk
- Waking the Tiger by Peter Levine
- The Drama of the Gifted Child by Alice Miller
- My Grandmother’s Hand by Resmaa Menakem
Private Mentorship is available to you, at an extra charge, as you participate in the online training. This may be appealing especially for therapists working with clients in private practice, who want feedback on their Compassionate Inquiry skills. You may contact any of the Private Mentors for private mentorship and request that they review one or more videotaped sessions where you are practicing Compassionate Inquiry. They will provide feedback on what competencies you are doing well, and which require further attention. This will accelerate your learning and benefit your clients. The cost ranges from $120-$150/hr. All of the Private Mentors are certified Compassionate Inquiry Practitioners and have completed a 30-hour Supervision Training.
Apply for the Professional Online Training:
The application is to confirm your eligibility. There is a $50 non-refundable application fee. Once your application has been accepted, you will be invited to register and pay for the full program. If you are applying for a subsidy, DO NOT fill out the Regular application below or pay the $50 fee until after you have been notified that a subsidy has been granted.
Subsidies for the February Training:
The course and subsidy applications for the February 2023 Cohort is now open. You will be notified if you have been chosen to receive a subsidy.
A limited number of subsidies are available, with a course fee of $2500, rather than the regular price of $3800. Subsidies are granted based on financial need, the number and type of clients you work with, and the economy of the country you live in. We seek to support and include traditionally underrepresented, marginalized, or otherwise under-served populations including people of colour, indigenous communities, people from faith based communities, the LGBTQ+ community, as well as full-time students. Our subsidies can also support individuals whose work is in service to marginalized communities, international relief, veterans, and victim support.
Please only apply for a subsidy if you:
- Would be unable to attend the program otherwise, due to financial constraint
- Are committed and capable of attending the program you are applying for
- Can pay the discounted rate for the course by the required date, in one payment
- Are currently seeing clients, and are a licensed health professional whose scope of practice includes counselling
- Subsidies are not transferable from one course to another, or from one person to another
Application open for the 13th Cohort of Professional Online Training
The program runs from February 6, 2023 to February 25, 2024
Regular fee for the Professional Online Training: $3800 CAD.
To convert to your local currency, click here.
The application is to confirm your eligibility. There is a $50 non-refundable application fee. Once your application has been accepted, you will be invited to register and pay for the full program.
You will receive a notice if you have been accepted by December 20th, 2022. Final registration and payment close on Sunday, January 8th, 2023.
A Free Information Session was held with Sat Dharam Kaur on Novemmber 5, 2022 to clarify your questions about all our offerings
Compassionate Inquiry is also offered as:
Compassionate Inquiry Inc reserves the right to deny acceptance to a professional online training program applicant and to withdraw a training participant from all or part of a training program at any time if Compassionate Inquiry Facilitators or the admin team determine that a participant’s behaviour, attitude or views could negatively impact the quality of a training program or online group, or if the participant is not a good fit for the program.
Compassionate Inquiry Inc, in its sole discretion, may terminate a participant’s participation at any time. If this should occur, Compassionate Inquiry Inc will refund the tuition paid for the training. Compassionate Inquiry Facilitators and interns will be assessing the suitability of participants for the program during the first 4 weeks of the training. A full refund will be given, minus a $250 admin fee, if a participant is asked to leave during the first 4 weeks of the program.
This is an experiential program with a limited number of spaces available. If you wish to withdraw from the program after you make your first payment or a full payment, you will be given a full refund (minus a $250 cancellation fee) if cancelling after your payment and before 4 weeks after the advertised start date of the course. No refunds are allowed 4 weeks after the start date of the course. No exceptions.
Cancellation Policy for Payment Plans:
- Your monthly payment date cannot be changed once your initial installment is made (payment will come out on this date each month)
- If your monthly installment is not made on the regularly scheduled payment date, you will automatically lose access to the online platform with the course materials
- There are no refunds after the first 4 weeks, therefore monthly payments will continue until paid in full
- If you wish to withdraw from the training after the first 4 weeks of the course, you are still responsible for completing your monthly payments until paid in full
If you have a condition that causes you to work at a slower pace through the training, you may take a 6 month extension after the last day of your training to submit your course completion requirements. You may also repeat the training in subsequent years to complete any work that remained incomplete the previous year. The cost to repeat the training is $1000 CAD (To convert to your local currency, click here). If you have specific accessibility needs, please contact [email protected] anytime.
Do you have further questions? View the Compassionate Inquiry FAQ Page
For additional information please reach out to us at [email protected] .