CI Frequently Asked Questions:
Professional Training: Before Entering the Course
Click here to go back to the Professional Training page.
I’m not sure if my schedule will work with the course. What is the structure?
The course includes modules with many teaching and practice videos, power points, optional meditations, and extensive reading resources.
You will meet once every two weeks (bi-weekly) for a facilitated group call. You will have weekly practice meetings with other participants in your group.
In addition to the course material, a monthly Zoom Call with Gabor, and a monthly Facilitated Workshop Zoom Call are available (recorded, not required to attend live).
There are 8 modules in this year-long study, with each module being two weeks long. There are three levels, each level extending 16 weeks (you will go through the 8 modules 3 times).
- Level One explores Self-Inquiry and Building Connection
- Level Two focuses on Comprehensive Skill-Building
- Level Three emphasizes Mastery of Compassionate Inquiry
Terms to Remember:
Online Facilitated Bi-Weekly Group = Between 12-18 people with one facilitator, meeting every two weeks, for 1.5 hours at a fixed scheduled time, which you select when you register for the training.
Pod = Group of approximately six participants, formed from within the bi-weekly group, who divide up into dyads and triads.
Dyad/Triad = A group of two or three people who practice together each week, at a flexible time that you decide among yourselves.
How often does my bi-weekly small group meet?
In this case bi-weekly means once every two weeks.
You will discuss the material from the modules in this bi-weekly group, and must attend at least 20 of 25 bi-weekly meetings in order to qualify for a certificate of course completion. You will also receive much more information on the course structure in the week before the training starts.
The facilitated group call for Module 1 will be an important orientation entering the course. It will involve getting to know your fellow participants and information-sharing about the modules and course structure, including individual work and opportunities to practice what you learn. During this first call, there will be time for questions and answers.
I previously applied for a program and paid the $50 application fee, however am not currently in the course. Is this fee transferable to a future course?
Yes. You do not need to pay the $50 fee a second time if you have not taken the training. However, applications are not transferable, which means you will need to re-apply in the future. There are no refunds on the application fee.
When will I get a receipt for my payment?
You will receive a receipt within seven days of paying for a CI course. If you need your receipt re-sent or to change info on the receipt, please email [email protected] with your name, email, course name/cohort, and the requested changes.
What is your cancellation policy?
This is an experiential program with a limited number of spaces available. If you wish to withdraw from the program, you will be given a full refund (minus a $50 cancellation fee) if cancelling up to 4 weeks after the advertised start date of the course. No refunds are allowed 4 weeks after the start date of the course, no exceptions.
What are my options if I have specific accessibility needs?
If you have a condition that causes you to work at a slower pace through the training, you may take a 6-month extension after the last day of your training to submit your course completion requirements. You may also repeat the training in subsequent years to complete any work that remained incomplete the previous year. The cost to repeat the training is $1000 CAD. If you have specific accessibility needs, please contact [email protected]
Am I able to switch to a different bi-weekly small group once I am assigned my facilitator?
You can switch your bi-weekly small group within the first 4 weeks after the advertised start date of the course. After the first 4 weeks, it is not possible to switch groups. Please email [email protected] if you need to switch your time slot for the biweekly facilitated meetings during the first 4 weeks of the training.
What can I expect from the course, and what is expected of me?
Throughout the training, this is what you can expect from your facilitator:
- They offer you the Compassionate Inquiry Psychotherapeutic approach as developed and instructed by Dr. Gabor Maté, and not general counselling theory or practice.
- They will embody the 7 Pillars of Compassionate Inquiry and will endeavour to create a learning environment that reflects those pillars.
- Unless technical glitches occur they will be punctual in start and finish times for the bi-weekly zoom calls. They promise to prepare themselves and technology in such a way that limits interruptions.
- Your facilitator will maintain a professional relationship and ethical boundaries throughout the training with course participants.
- See the facilitator Code of Ethics.
This is what facilitators of Compassionate Inquiry ask of you:
- Experiential training is such that personal issues arise. You are expected to have additional resources outside of the training, including a therapist, peer support groups, etc., so that you are well supported. It is very likely that you will need this extra support.
- Unless technical glitches occur, we ask and expect that you be punctual for the bi-weekly meetings as well as dyads/triads. Please prepare yourself and your technology so that interruptions are minimal.
- When it is believed by a facilitator, and in consultation with the Compassionate Inquiry Team, that someone’s personal issues or behaviour may prevent them from participating fully or may be disruptive to the group learning, then the individual will be approached to discuss and collaborate on a resolution, which could include being asked to leave the training.
- See the course participant Code of Ethics.
Click here to view more info on the Professional Training Program.
CI Short Course:
What is the cancellation policy?
We do not offer any refunds for the Short Course.
Can I upgrade from the short course to the Professional Program?
The short course is not a precursor to the Professional Online Training. There are no refunds or exchanges between the two courses.