On this page you will find links to submit your certification form and payment, FAQ about certification, as well as helpful information further down the page about re-certification.
If you are re-certifying, please scroll down below for more information.
For Recent Mentorship Graduates
Congratulations on completing the Mentorship Program and developing your skills. We acknowledge the commitment and dedication you have given to yourself in completing the program.
In your final (fifth) personal mentoring session in the Mentorship Program, your Personal Mentor indicated whether you were ready/not ready to apply for certification.
If you have been recommended to apply for certification, you should have received the link to complete the Mentee Certification Review Form. Email [email protected] if you did not receive this link.
If you have not been recommended to apply for certification at this time, please review the note made by your Mentor in your Mentee package if you are unsure of these details. If you cannot find the note from your Mentor, please email them.
- If your Personal Mentor suggested you receive additional (usually 3-7) mentoring sessions, here is a link to the Private Mentor page.
- If your Personal Mentor suggested you repeat the Mentorship Program, here is the link for the upcoming program.
Once you have completed the recommendations by your Personal Mentor, please review your readiness to pursue certification with your Personal Mentor OR your Private Mentor.
Your application for certification must be received within 1 year of completion of the Mentorship program. Otherwise, you will need to take the Mentorship Program again.
For additional support or clarification, please email [email protected]
See Deadlines for Certification
The requirements, payment and application for certification as a Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner must be received within one year of the completion date of the Mentorship Program that the applicant participated in – this would be either Feb 15 or Aug 15 annually.
For the September Mentorship Program:
- Program Ends: February 15th of the following year
- Application for certification must be completed within one year, by Feb 15 the next year
- If the mentee accepted and paid for the 6-month extension, then program requirements are due August 15; and application for certification would be due by August 15 of the following year.
For the March Mentorship Program:
- Program Ends: August 15th of the same year
- Application for certification must be completed within one year, by August 15 the next year
- If the mentee accepted and paid for the 6-month extension, then program requirements are due February 15; and application for certification would be due by February 15 of the following year.
Requirements for Certification
Certification as a Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner:
To apply for certification as a Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner, the candidate must:
- Receive a certificate of completion for the professional online training
- Complete at least one 5 month block of the mentorship program
- Be advised that they are ready to apply for certification by their designated personal mentor
- You are required to have 50 hours of clinical practice during the Mentorship Program and another 50 hours before applying for a Certification Review, totalling 100 hours.
- You are required to see at least 10 different clients to make up the clinical practice hours during the Mentorship Program; and 10 new clients for the clinical practice hours required before the Certification Review, totalling 20 different clients.
- Apply for certification within a one year period of the completion date of the Mentorship Program
- Complete 10 case study forms for clients seen during the extra 50 hours of clinical practice required for certification (these are optional for those in the March 2021 Mentorship Program)
- Submit one video (up to 50 minutes) to the Certification Team for review. The video must be in Gallery View and the client must be someone who has not participated in the Compassionate Inquiry training
- Submit liability insurance
- Pay a certification fee of $230 CAD
If you are ready for certification, please contact [email protected] for the link to submit your certification form. If you are re-certifying or have not yet been recommended for certification by a mentor, please visit this page for different forms and info.
See Private Mentors
This page lists approved Compassionate Inquiry Private Mentors, whom you may contact for individual or group mentoring for additional mentoring sessions. Whether you are in the Professional Training, are preparing for a Certification Review, or for the supervision sessions required during your first two years of practice as a Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner. Please discuss the rate for mentoring directly with your chosen mentor.
FAQ Regarding Certification
When can I apply for certification?
You are welcome to apply for certification once you have completed the mentorship program and submitted all the requirements for mentorship completion, as well as the requirements for certification. In addition you must receive the approval of your Personal Mentor to pursue certification.
What are the requirements needed to apply for certification?
There are a number of requirements in place for submitting your certification application including:
- A certificate of completion for the Professional Online Training
- The completion of at least one 5 month block of the Mentorship Program
- You have been advised that you are ready to apply for certification by their designated Personal Mentor
- You are required to have 50 hours of clinical practice during the Mentorship Program and another 50 hours before applying for a Certification Review, totalling 100 hours. You are required to see at least 10 different clients to make up the clinical practice hours during the Mentorship Program; and 10 new clients for the clinical practice hours required before the Certification Review, totalling 20 different clients.
- Apply for certification within a one-year period after completion of the Mentorship Program
- Completion of 10 case study forms for clients seen during the extra 50 hours of clinical practice required for certification
- Submission of one video (up to 50 minutes) to the Certification Team for review. The video must be in Gallery View and the client must be someone who has not participated in the Compassionate Inquiry training
- Submission of liability insurance
- Payment of a certification fee of $230 CAD
My Personal Mentor has approved me for certification, now what?
Once you have completed all of the requirements for the Mentorship Program and have received the approval from your Personal Mentor to proceed with a certification submission, you will receive a letter from our certification coordinator granting your certification review. This letter will outline the next steps in the process which includes a link to enter your submissions for certification (i.e. insurance, video for review) and a link to pay your certification fee).
What is the review process?
Over the course of the mentorship program, 8 of your videos are reviewed by your personal or group mentors. Your Personal Mentor acts as your first and last reviewer, who will guide and assess your competency in Compassionate Inquiry. In your final personal mentoring session, your Personal Mentor will let you know if you are ready to apply for certification. If they suggest that you are ready, your certification reviewer acts as your second reviewer who assesses your skills and competency as a Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner. Your certification reviewer is NOT one of your personal or group mentors.
The Certification Review Team determine if someone is ready to certify when the applicant demonstrates proficiency in the Compassionate Inquiry competencies found in the Compassionate Inquiry Competency Form and Compassionate Inquiry Map as well as determining if the applicant is:
- Spontaneous, rather than adhering to rigid guidelines or a formula?
- Proficient in embodying and applying the Compassionate Inquiry Qualities, Skills and Stepping Stones
There is also criteria used to exclude certification which includes:
- Did the participant have an agenda during the session, so was not attuned to the client in the present moment.
- Did the participant repeatedly miss important cues?
- Did the participant miss picking up on the client’s discomfort?
- Was the participant unable to process their own triggers internally, preventing them from being fully present with the client?
- You would not recommend this participant to someone you know to receive therapy.
If the certification team agrees that the candidate is certifiable and skilled in the Compassionate Inquiry competencies, they will be certified as a Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner and added to the Compassionate Inquiry website.
In the event that the second reviewer is inconclusive of your competency, a third reviewer is invited to review your submission. We have found our review process to be very robust and thus far demonstrates 100% consistency among reviewers.
I have made my final submission for certification, when will I know the result?
Once you have submitted the required forms and final video for review, the Certification Coordinator will assign a reviewer to your submission. The reviewer will take up to 30 days to complete your review. Once the review is complete, you will receive a notice regarding your results.
I tried to make a submission, but my submission was rejected, why is this?
Your submission may have been rejected if one of the certification requirements listed above was missing or incomplete, or if your video was not in gallery view or if your client was someone within Compassionate Inquiry.
You can find more details here.
I was not granted certification by the review team, what are my options now?
In the event that your submission is not approved for certification, the reviewer will make recommendations to you for areas of improvement and will require you to have a certain number of additional personal mentoring sessions with a mentor of your choice. You will have 1 year from the date of graduation from the mentorship program to submit another video for a certification review. Your Personal Mentor or Private Mentor will let you know when you are ready to re-apply.
What are the recertification requirements?
Recertification is required every 2 years. Please find more details on recertification below.
Re-Certification as a Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner:
The following is for those who have completed the Professional Training, completed the Mentorship Program, and have been certified as a Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner.
The Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner must apply for recertification at least 30 days before the two-year expiration of the practitioner’s original certification date as listed on his/her/their certificate. If a Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner does not re-certify, all of the privileges of certification are discontinued.
The requirements for recertification include:
- At least 50 hours of clinical practice in the previous year.
- At least 6 documented supervision or Compassionate Inquiry mentoring sessions in the previous year, during the first 2 years of clinical practice. Supervision may be obtained from an approved Compassionate Inquiry Mentor or from a psychotherapist/psychologist with background training in at least 30 hours of supervision. All of the Compassionate Inquiry Mentors are trained in supervision.
- Submission of 5 case studies as well as a 25-50 minute review of 1 Compassionate Inquiry session with a client, either in person, online or via a video recording.
- 20 CE credits every 2 years (see below)
- Proof of Professional Liability Insurance
- Recertification fee of $230
- If the initial video is inadequate, allowance for 1 more video submission, for a second cost of $230, within 3 months of completion of the first video review.
- If the applicant is still not certifiable, he/she/they will be recommended to participate in the Compassionate Inquiry 5-month Mentorship Program.
Note: for participants in the 2019 Jan, Apr and Aug Cohorts, we invite you to re-certify within 2 years after the last day of your training. However, as per the agreement that was in place when your training began, your initial recertification may be after 3 years. Each subsequent recertification date will be every 2 years.
January 2019 Cohort: Apply by June 21, 2022. Final date to re-certify is June 21, 2023.
April 2019 Cohort: Final date to re-certify is October 5, 2023.
August 2019 Cohort: Final date to re-certify is February 2, 2024.
Download the 10 case studies fillable document here:
Continuing Education Credits:
Proof of completion of at least 20 hours of Compassionate Inquiry Continuing Education within the 2-year period is required for re-certification.
- These can include attendance or viewing the recording of the monthly zoom calls with Gabor and the recordings of the Master Classes, as well as attendance at the annual Compassionate Inquiry Conference, the Compassionate Inquiry guest lectures, or assisting at a Compassionate Inquiry training. In time we may offer specialty workshops taught by other Compassionate Inquiry Practitioners that can be used for CE credits.
- Proof of attendance at trauma-related, or IFS or meditation related workshops, or training related to the material on the Compassionate Inquiry recommended reading list (up to 10 hours of the 20 required)
- You will receive 1 CE credit for every hour of continuing education
- You will submit a CE log every 2 years, listing dates of master classes, guest lectures and monthly zoom sessions with Gabor (or other Advanced Compassionate Inquiry professional) attended, and/or the Compassionate Inquiry conference or related conferences.