Beginning with the February 2020 Cohort, successful completion of the year-long Compassionate Inquiry Professional Online Training will grant participants a Certificate of Completion, rather than certification as a Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner.
The certification process is currently under review, and has been uncoupled from the first year training. It will involve a flexible mentorship program for first year graduates who are already in clinical practice using Compassionate Inquiry with clients, and who are covered by professional liability insurance. Details will be added here once the new certification process has been developed.
The requirements to receive a Certificate of Completion for the year-long training are as follows:
- Completion of all 3 cycles of the 8 modules in the Compassionate Inquiry online program lasting 50 weeks, with at least 80% attendance at 25 bi-weekly Zoom sessions lead by an online CI facilitator (at least 20 sessions out of 25). (The exception can be made to miss 6 online facilitated meetings if one of those missed meetings was the first one in the course. The 6th can be granted at the discretion of the facilitator.)
- Participants who miss either: 1) 4 consecutive biweekly meetings, or 2) 10 meetings in total, will be asked to leave the facilitated biweekly meetings and triad sessions, but can continue to view the online materials and attend the Zoom calls with Dr. Gabor Maté and Facilitated Monthly Workshops until the end of the year long training. This ensures that we maintain the integrity and quality of the course for all participants.
Participants who miss 6-9 biweekly meetings in total, or fewer than 4 consecutive biweekly meetings, and still desire to participate in the program, may continue attending the Biweekly meetings and dyad/triad practice sessions until the end of the year, although they will not receive a Certificate of Completion. They may register for the next cohort for a reduced fee of $1000, and repeat the program the following year.
- Completion of reading of each of the Module pdfs, totalling approximately 600 pages.
- Viewing of all of the CI online videos and powerpoint summaries and completion of short quizzes at the end of each video section. Videos total approximately 35 hours.
- Completion in writing of the Study and Practice Guide questions for each module, submitted through the online platform.
- At least fifty sessions of 60-90 minutes of practice work in dyads/ triads with course participants in your peer group during the year-long program, and documented attendance at these sessions. You will need at least 50 60-90 minute dyad/triad meetings. In these sessions, you must follow the relevant Practice Guides using the CI approach, and act as the “therapist” at least 50 times.
- Completion of at least 25 Case Study forms (beginning in Level 2 of the course), documenting individual CI sessions where you were acting as the practitioner and demonstrating competence. At least 13 of these Case Study forms must be with actual clients, who are not part of the CI training. The other 12 Case Studies may be from your dyads/triads with participants in the CI training. At least 5 of these will be submitted at the half way point in Level 2 so that you may receive feedback, while the other 20 will be submitted at the half way point of Level 3 (8 weeks after the Level 3 start date). Case Studies should be submitted typed in a Word doc, saved as 1 file, with each case study starting at the top of a page. Use initials rather than full names to protect your client’s identity and maintain confidentiality.
- Completion of at least one Practicum in Level 3, where you were observed by your online group members and given feedback by your online facilitator.
- Completion of Feedback Forms for each module once, as well as the long Feedback Form at the end of the course.
- Completion of a Self-Competency Form, assessing your proficiency in using CI.
- Acknowledgement and signature on the Compassionate Inquiry Code of Ethics for course participants.
- Late fees will be incurred if due dates are not met. There is a $50 CAD late fee if the Case Study forms are submitted after their due date and before the Monday of the last week of your training. There is a $100 CAD late fee for any submissions that are received after the Monday of the last week of your training. Submit the late fee here.
- If the course completion requirements have not been submitted within the duration of the year long training, you will not receive a Certificate of Completion.
- From time to time, these course completion requirements may be amended.
- 5 Case Study Forms due 8 weeks after the Level 2 start date; 20 Case Study Forms due 8 weeks after the Level 3 start date.
- Self-review Competency Form is due on the Monday of the second to last scheduled week of your designated training.
Ongoing Participation and Annual Membership:
Our vision is to bring compassion, respect, acceptance, insight, healing, freedom and connection to humanity through an international community of skillful Compassionate Inquiry practitioners. We can fulfill this vision by supporting your continued learning of CI and by connecting you to one another through an annual membership. You will be emailed an invitation for annual membership during the last month of your year long training.
The annual membership fee is $150 CAD, and grants you the following benefits:
- continued access to the online platform, including new additions to the content
- access to non-participatory attendance at scheduled CI Zoom calls with Gabor, and their recordings for the current year
- access to non-participatory attendance at monthly facilitated workshops, and their recordings
- connection to CI alumni
- continued access to the secret CI Facebook page
- invitation to participate in CI focus groups, to collaborate with other practitioners