Completion and Certification Requirements
Successful completion of the year-long Compassionate Inquiry Professional Online Training will grant participants a Certificate of Completion. An optional Mentorship Program following course completion prepares the participant for certification as a Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner.
The Mentorship Program is available to participants who are already in clinical practice using Compassionate Inquiry with clients, and who are covered by professional liability insurance. See below for further details.
Course completion, mentorship and certification guidelines may be amended at any time.
The requirements to receive a Certificate of Completion for the year-long training are as follows:
- Completion of all 3 cycles of the 8 modules in the Compassionate Inquiry online program lasting 54 weeks, with at least 80% attendance at 27 bi-weekly Zoom sessions lead by an online CI facilitator (at least 22 sessions out of 27). (The exception can be made to miss 6 online facilitated meetings if one of those missed meetings was the first one in the course. The 6th can be granted at the discretion of the facilitator.)
- Participants who arrive more than 20 minutes late or leave 20 minutes early will be marked absent.
- Participants who miss either: 1) 4 consecutive biweekly meetings, or 2) 10 meetings in total, will be asked to leave the facilitated biweekly meetings and triad sessions, but can continue to view the online materials and attend the Zoom calls with Dr. Gabor Maté and Facilitated Monthly Workshops until the end of the year-long training. This ensures that we maintain the integrity of the course for all participants.
Participants who miss 6-9 biweekly meetings in total, or fewer than 4 consecutive biweekly meetings, and still desire to participate in the program, may continue attending the Biweekly meetings and dyad/triad practice sessions until the end of the year, although they will not receive a Certificate of Completion. They may register for the next cohort for a reduced fee of $1000, and repeat the program the following year.
- Participants must be attending regular dyad/triad sessions to attend the biweekly meetings, and vice versa – if you are practicing in dyads/triads, you must attend the biweeklies. You may not drop out of the biweekly and continue in dyads/triads, unless you have completed the training.
- Completion of reading of each of the Module pdfs, totalling approximately 600 pages.
- Viewing of all of the CI online videos and powerpoint summaries and completion of short quizzes at the end of each video section. Videos total approximately 40 hours.
- Completion in writing of the Study and Practice Guide questions for each module, submitted through the online platform.
- At least fifty sessions of 60-90 minutes of practice work in dyads/ triads with course participants in your peer group during the year-long program, and documented attendance at these sessions. You will need at least 50, 60-90 minute dyad/triad meetings. In these sessions, you must follow the relevant Practice Guides using the CI approach, and act as the “therapist” at least 50 times.
- Completion of at least 25 Case Study forms (beginning in Level 2 of the course), documenting individual CI sessions where you were acting as the practitioner and demonstrating competence. At least 13 of these Case Study forms must be with actual clients, who are not part of the CI training. The other 12 Case Studies may be from your dyads/triads with participants in the CI training. At least 5 of these will be submitted at the half way point in Level 2 so that you may receive feedback, while the other 20 will be submitted near the half way point of Level 3. Case Studies should be submitted typed in a Word doc, saved as 1 file, with each case study starting at the top of a page. Use initials rather than full names to protect your client’s identity and maintain confidentiality.
- Completion of at least one Practicum in Level 3, where you were observed by your online group members and given feedback by your online facilitator and/or intern.
- Completion of Feedback Forms for each module once, as well as the long Feedback Form at the end of the course.
- Completion of a Self-Competency Form, assessing your proficiency in using CI.
- Acknowledgement and signature on the Compassionate Inquiry Code of Ethics for course participants.
- Late fees will be incurred if due dates are not met. There is a $50 CAD late fee if the Case Study forms are submitted after their due date.
- The course completion requirements must be submitted within the duration of the year-long training, or within a 6-month extension period, to receive a Certificate of Completion. There is a $50 late fee for the 6 month extension.
- From time to time, these course completion requirements may be amended without notice.
- 5 Case Study Forms due 8 weeks after the Level 2 start date; 20 Case Study Forms due 8 weeks after the Level 3 start date.
- Self-review Competency Form is due on the Monday of the second to last scheduled week of your designated training.
If you have a condition that causes you to work at a slower pace through the training, you may take a 6 month extension after the last day of your training to submit your course completion requirements. You may also repeat the training in subsequent years to complete any work that remained incomplete the previous year. The cost to repeat the training is $1000 CAD. If you have specific accessibility needs, please contact [email protected]
CI Mentorship Program
After receiving the Certificate of Completion for the year long training, participants can enrol in the formal 5 month Mentorship program within the next two years, if they fulfill the following conditions.
- They are registered with a professional regulatory body or association
- They are legally able to practice CI within their professional scope of practice and in their jurisdiction
- They have liability insurance that covers CI, unless it is unavailable in their country
- They are currently working with clients
The mentorship program includes 4 components:
- Group Mentorship
- Personal Mentorship
- Peer Mentorship
- Clinical Practice
Group Mentorship: There will be Monthly Mentored Peer Practice Groups of 3 persons each, with rotating Facilitators once a month over 5 months. Five Facilitators who have trained in supervision will review the CI videos of 3 people each month and provide feedback. Each session is 2 hours.
Personal Mentorship: The mentee will choose a personal mentor from among the online Facilitators. The Personal Mentor will meet with the mentee at least three times over the 5 month block – once before the mentorship begins to discuss a mentorship learning plan, once at the 3 month mark and once at the end of the program to assess whether the mentee is ready for certification. A video review will occur in each of those meetings.
A total of 8 videos are reviewed in 5 months (5 in group mentoring; 3 in personal mentoring); At the end of those 5 months, the personal mentor will either recommend the mentees to apply for certification or not.
Peer Mentorship/Support: There is a requirement to do 2 CI sessions per month with other mentees (have clear and specific goals, areas of focus each month of competencies; request feedback from peers on those particular competencies). You will need at least 10 CI sessions with peers over the 5 month period – this will help you to be a clear mirror for your clients.
Clinical Practice: During the mentorship program you will need at least 50 clinical practice hours. Thirty of the hours are with your own clients (minimum of 8 clients) and twenty of those hours can be with new CI Level 1 course participants. An additional 50 hours of clinical practice are needed before applying for certification.
Cost of Mentorship Program: $1850 CAD (cost subject to change)
Certification as a CI Practitioner
In order to certify as a CI Practitioner, 100 hours of clinical practice using CI must be completed and documented, since the start of the Mentorship Program. Once the personal mentor informs the mentee that they are ready to submit a certification video for review, the mentee may submit 1 certification video (up to 50 minutes long) plus a reviewing fee to a separate Certification Reviewer. The cost of this certification review is $230 starting with the September 2021 Mentorship cohort. Once certified the mentee is added to the CI website as a CI Practitioner.
In summary, to apply for certification as a Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner, the candidate must:
- receive a certificate of completion for the professional online training
- complete at least one 5 month block of the mentorship program
- be advised that they are ready to apply for certification by their designated personal mentor
- complete and log 100 clinical practice hours of CI since beginning the mentorship program (50 required during the mentorship program; another 50 required for certification)
- apply for certification within a one year period after completion of the Mentorship Program
- complete 10 case study forms for clients seen during the extra 50 hours of clinical practice required for certification (these are optional for those in the March 2021 Mentorship Program)
- submit one video (up to 50 minutes) to the Certification Team for review. The video must be in Gallery View and the client must be someone who has not participated in the CI training
- submit liability insurance
- pay a certification fee of $230 CAD
Please access and fill out the submission form and submit the above requirements here.
These requirements are to be completed within one year of completion of the Mentorship Program in order to certify.
The criteria that the Certification Review Team uses to determine if someone is ready to certify are proficiency in the CI competencies found in the CI Competency Form as well as determining if the applicant is:
- Spontaneous, rather than adhering to rigid guidelines or a formula?
- Proficient in embodying and applying the CI Qualities, Skills and Stepping Stones?
Criteria to exclude certification include:
- Did the participant have an agenda during the session, so was not attuned to the client in the present moment.
- Did the participant repeatedly miss important cues?
- Did the participant miss picking up on the client’s discomfort?
- Was the participant unable to process their own triggers internally, preventing them from being fully present with the client?
- You would not recommend this participant to someone you know to receive therapy.
If the certification team agrees that the candidate is certifiable and skilled in the CI competencies, they will be certified as a CI Practitioner and added to the CI website.
Once the Mentorship Program has been completed and the participant has been certified, a designation of “Mentorship Program Completed”, will accompany their listing on the CI website.
Note: The mentorship and certification guidelines and costs above may be revised from time to time.
Ongoing Participation and Annual Membership:
Our vision is to bring compassion, respect, acceptance, insight, healing, freedom and connection to humanity through an international community of skillful Compassionate Inquiry practitioners. We can fulfill this vision by supporting your continued learning of CI and by connecting you to one another through an annual membership. You will be emailed an invitation for annual membership during the last month of your year long training.
The annual membership fee is $150 CAD, and grants you the following benefits:
- continued access to the online platform, including new additions to the content
- access to non-participatory attendance at scheduled CI Zoom calls with Gabor, and their recordings for the current year
- access to non-participatory attendance at monthly facilitated workshops, and their recordings
- access to guest lectures
- connection to CI alumni
- continued access to the secret CI Facebook page
- invitation to participate in CI focus groups, to collaborate with other practitioners