The Compassionate Inquiry certification process involves a detailed set of requirements and actions for the Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner to follow in order to demonstrate the competencies and experience necessary to practice the Compassionate Inquiry approach safely and effectively. Certification adds quality control to the practice of Compassionate Inquiry by providing a way to recognize those who have demonstrated the capacity to safely and skillfully use the approach.
The requirements for certification as a Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner are as follows:
- Completion of all 3 cycles of the 8 modules in the Compassionate Inquiry online program lasting 50 weeks, with at least 80% attendance at 25 bi-weekly Zoom sessions lead by an online CI facilitator (at least 20 sessions out of 25).
- Completion of reading of each of the Module pdfs, totalling approximately 600 pages.
- Viewing of all of the CI online videos, and completion of short quizzes at the end of each video. Videos total approximately 30 hours.
- At least 50 hours of practice work in dyads or triads with course participants in your peer group during the year-long program.
- Completion of at least 25 Case Study forms, documenting individual CI sessions where you were acting as the practitioner and demonstrating competence.
- Video or audiotaping of at least 5 CI sessions where you were acting as the practitioner. At least one of these sessions would visually show you and the client.
- Assessment of the videos and your proficiency using CI by yourself (self-assessment), from 3 of your peer group members (peer assessment) and from a certification team member (professional assessment), using the Compassionate Inquiry Competency Form as the assessment tool.
- Demonstration of expertise and mastery in the Qualities, Skills and Stepping Stones utilized in Compassionate Inquiry, as assessed by yourself, your peers and the certification team member.
- Payment to the certification team member for the time required to review your videos and Case Study forms and assess your competence as a Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner. It is your responsibility to negotiate the fee for this in advance with the certification team member. Suggested range: $150-$300 depending on the time required.
- Final review and certification will be determined by Dr. Gabor Maté in person at an annual Compassionate Inquiry certification workshop. There will be an additional fee for this workshop. The first one is scheduled for Nov 20-22, 2020 in Vancouver, BC. Cost for the 3 day workshop will be approximately $550.
- Proof of liability insurance related to the practice of Compassionate Inquiry in your profession as a mental health care practitioner, therapist, counsellor, social worker, MD, ND, health care worker, coach, nurse, somatic therapist, yoga therapist etc., if this insurance is required in your country. You are responsible for ensuring that the practice of Compassionate Inquiry falls under the scope of practice of your profession and is covered by your insurance policy. If no such insurance exists in your country, insurance is not required.
- Submission of all certification requirements within 18 months after the start date of the online program. If the requirements are not completed in 18 months, you may retake the online program the following year at an additional cost.
Requirements to Maintain Certification:
- Recertification is required every three years. The Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner must apply for recertification within 30 days of the three-year expiration of his/her original certification date as listed on his/her certificate. If a Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner does not re-certify, all of the privileges of certification listed below are discontinued.
- You are invited but not required to participate monthly in dyads/triads with experienced and new participants in the Compassionate Inquiry online program after you are certified. This will keep you focussed on your own psychological growth and mastery as a therapist, connect you to your peers in an international community, and provide you with an opportunity to mentor new course participants. We invite you to participate one hour per month.
Privileges of Certification:
- Listing as a CI Practitioner on the Compassionate Inquiry website and being part of a referral list.
- Ability to call yourself a Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner and use this designation on your advertising material and website.
- Use of Compassionate Inquiry logo and promotional materials.
- Link to an international peer support group of CI practitioners
- Continued access to the closed CI Facebook group page.