The Compassionate Inquiry certification process involves a detailed set of requirements and actions for the Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner to follow in order to demonstrate the competencies and experience necessary to practice the Compassionate Inquiry approach safely and effectively. Certification adds quality control to the practice of Compassionate Inquiry by providing a way to recognize those who have demonstrated the capacity to safely and skillfully use the approach.
The requirements for certification as a Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner are as follows:
- Completion of all 3 cycles of the 8 modules in the Compassionate Inquiry online program lasting 50 weeks, with at least 80% attendance at 25 bi-weekly Zoom sessions lead by an online CI facilitator (at least 20 sessions out of 25). (The exception can be made to miss 6 online facilitated meetings if one of those missed meetings was the first one in the course. The 6th can be granted at the discretion of the facilitator.)
- Participants who miss either: 1) 4 consecutive biweekly meetings, or 2) 10 meetings in total, will be asked to leave the facilitated biweekly meetings and triad sessions, but can continue to view the online materials until the end of the year long training. This ensures that we maintain the integrity and quality of the course for all participants.
Participants who miss 6-9 biweekly meetings in total, or fewer than 4 consecutive biweekly meetings, and still desire to participate in the program, may continue attending the Biweekly meetings and dyad/triad practice sessions until the end of the year, although they will not qualify for certification. They may register for the next cohort for a reduced fee of $1000, and repeat the program the following year.
- Completion of reading of each of the Module pdfs, totalling approximately 600 pages.
- Viewing of all of the CI online videos and completion of short quizzes at the end of each video section. Videos total approximately 30 hours.
- Completion in writing of the Study and Practice Guide questions for each module.
- At least 50 hours of practice work in dyads/ triads with course participants in your peer group during the year-long program, and documented attendance at these sessions.
- Completion of at least 25 Case Study forms (beginning in Level 2 of the course), documenting individual CI sessions where you were acting as the practitioner and demonstrating competence. These will be submitted at the half way point of Level 3 (8 weeks after the Level 3 start date). Case studies can pertain to your peers in your dyads/triads and/or your clients in your workplace.
- Video or audio taping of at least 5 CI sessions where you were acting as the practitioner. At least one of these sessions should visually show you and the client. (This can be a peer from your triad). These are due 2 weeks before the last scheduled week of your designated training. You will need to download these to a private youtube or vimeo channel and then send us the links to view. Ask peers or clients to fill out the Permission to Record Session Form, found in the Orientation section of the CI Introductory Module.
- Proof of liability insurance related to the practice of Compassionate Inquiry in your profession as a mental health care practitioner, therapist, counsellor, social worker, MD, ND, health care worker, life coach, nurse, somatic therapist, yoga therapist etc., if this insurance is required in your country. You are responsible for ensuring that the practice of Compassionate Inquiry falls under the scope of practice of your profession and is covered by your insurance policy. If no such insurance exists in your country, or if you are First Nation working within your community, insurance is not required. You are required to submit your insurance policy by the Monday of the last week of your designated training if you are completing your requirements within the training year. If you are completing your certification requirements within the 6 month extension after the last day of the training, liability insurance is due before the end of the 6 month extension.
- Assessment of the videos and your proficiency using CI, by yourself (self-assessment), from 3 of your peer group members (peer assessment) and from your online facilitator (professional assessment) and/or member of the certification team, using the Compassionate Inquiry Competency Form as the assessment tool. You will fill out these competency forms for yourself and 3 of your peers during Level 3 of the training. These competency assessment forms are due on the Monday of the second last scheduled week of your designated training.
- Demonstration of expertise and mastery in the Qualities, Skills and Stepping Stones utilized in Compassionate Inquiry, as assessed by yourself, your peers, your online facilitator and the certification team, composed of online facilitators under the guidance of Dr. Gabor Maté. If sufficient mastery has not been obtained by the end of the year long training, you will have 6 months after the end of the training to hone your skills, pay for mentoring and review session(s) with either an online facilitator and/or a Certification Team Member until you are ready to be certified.
- The basic fee for the Certification Team to review your 25 Case Studies, 5 videos, 4 Competency Forms and practicum assessment will be $400 CAD, due during the final scheduled week of the 50 week training. You will be notified whether you have been granted certification within 60 days of the last day of your training.
- If any of these certification requirements are incomplete, or further submissions are required, the Certification Team will provide specific recommendations and a timeline to complete these submissions, within 18 months of the start date of your training. When these recommendations have been completed, it is your responsibility to schedule a subsequent review and negotiate the fee for this in advance with the Certification Team. This fee is $150/hr minimum and the total will depend on the time required.
- The recommendations for further submissions before certification may include: a) submit a specific number of videos where you are using CI with a client, and review these with your Certification Team mentor; b) demonstrate proficiency in embodying specific qualities, skills or stepping stones; c) arrange for a certain number of hours of mentoring from a CI Facilitator; d) submit further case studies; e) attend a specific number of monthly workshops where CI facilitators give feedback to course participants as they demonstrate CI; f) retake the year long training at a reduced cost of $1000
- If the certification requirements have not been completed within the duration of the year long training, allowance is made to submit the certification requirements within 18 months after the start date of your online program, or approximately 6 months after the end date.
- If your certification requirements are submitted within the 6 month period after the last day of your training, the Certification Team will inform you whether certification has been granted within 60 days of submission of all certification requirements.
- If the certification requirements are not completed within 18 months after the start date of your online course, you may retake the online program the following year at a reduced cost of $1000.
- From time to time, these certification requirements may be modified.
- 25 Case Study Forms due 8 weeks after the Level 3 start date.
- Self-review and 3 Peer–reviewed Competency Forms due on the Monday of the second to last scheduled week of your designated training.
- 5 Videos of CI Sessions with peers or clients are due on the second to last scheduled week of your designated training.
- Proof of Liability insurance due on the second to last scheduled week of your designated training.
Criteria for Certification:
After completion of the certification requirements listed above, and payment of the certification fee, the Certification Team will evaluate your readiness for certification based on the following criteria:
- Would I recommend you to someone I know to receive therapy?
- Are you competent, confident, present and attuned?
- Are you spontaneous, rather than adhering to rigid guidelines or a formula?
- Are you proficient in embodying and utilizing the CI Qualities, Skills and Stepping Stones?
You are not ready for certification if you:
- Have an agenda during the session and are not attuned to the client in the present moment.
- Miss important cues repeatedly.
- Don’t pick up on the client’s discomfort.
- Are unable to process your own triggers internally, and therefore are not fully present with your client.
- Use something completely different from the CI approach.
Privileges of Certification:
- Listing as a CI Practitioner on the Compassionate Inquiry website and being part of a referral list.
- Right to call yourself a Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner and use this designation on your advertising material and website.
- Use of the Compassionate Inquiry logo and promotional materials.
- Link to an international peer support group of CI practitioners.
- Continued access to the closed CI Facebook group page.
- Ongoing access, through an annual membership, to the Compassionate Inquiry course materials and scheduled group zoom calls with Dr. Gabor Maté and/or senior Compassionate Inquiry Practitioners.
Requirements to Maintain Certification:
Recertification is required every three years. The Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner must apply for recertification at least 30 days before the three-year expiration of the practitioner’s original certification date as listed on his/her/their certificate. If a Compassionate Inquiry Practitioner does not recertify, all of the privileges of certification listed above are discontinued.
The requirements for recertification include submission of 5 case studies as well as review of 1 Compassionate Inquiry session with a client either in person, online or via video recording.
A recertification fee will apply to cover the cost of this review and to maintain the Practitioner’s listing on the CI website. The recertification fee will be adjusted and announced annually.
Ongoing Participation and Annual Membership:
Our vision is to bring compassion, respect, acceptance, insight, healing, freedom and connection to humanity through an international community of skillful Compassionate Inquiry practitioners. We can fulfill this vision by supporting your continued learning of CI and by connecting you to one another through an annual membership. You will be emailed an invitation for annual membership during the last month of your year long training.
The annual membership fee is $150 CAD. Included in this fee are the following benefits:
- continued access to the online platform, including new additions to the content
- access to scheduled CI Zoom calls with Gabor, and their recordings for the current year
- access to monthly facilitated workshops and their recordings
- continued interaction with CI alumni and new participants
- opportunities to participate in dyads/triads with experienced and new participants
- opportunities to mentor new course participants
- continued access to the secret CI Facebook page