Join us for the Compassionate Inquiry Professional Online Training, starting in January 2019
Therapists and health professionals are invited to participate in a 240 hour, year-long, graduate level online training in Compassionate Inquiry for personal and professional development.
Using Compassionate Inquiry, you will be able to unveil the level of consciousness, mental climate, hidden assumptions, implicit memories and body states that form the real messages in clients that their words both express and conceal.
Would you like to increase your skills and effectiveness as a therapist or health provider, leading towards mastery?
Have you been impacted by the teachings and modelling of Dr. Gabor Maté?
Would you like to be part of an international community of Compassionate Inquiry Practitioners?
Would you benefit from a year-long therapeutic peer support and practice group?
Are you willing to spend 2-4 hours a week over the next year learning and practicing a new therapeutic modality?
If you said YES to any of these, this course is for you!
What You Will Receive:
Dive into a thorough exploration of Compassionate Inquiry, a powerful therapeutic approach developed by Dr. Gabor Maté for healing trauma and understanding mental and physical illness. The course includes:
- Over 30 hours of video with Dr. Gabor Maté teaching and demonstrating Compassionate Inquiry
- Over 50 videotaped recordings and transcripts of Dr. Gabor Maté modelling Compassionate Inquiry with clients
- Over 600 pages of transcripts compiled and organized from five 2-day Compassionate Inquiry workshops
- 8 modules of teachings on safety, attunement, trauma, triggers, attachment, authenticity, diagnoses, memory, beliefs, emotions, pain, addiction, children and more … plus a recommended reading list for each module
- At least fifty 60-90 minute practice sessions in dyads and triads
- A total of nineteen 90 minute online biweekly small group sessions to review the modules, lead by an experienced small group facilitator
- Regular Q&A zoom calls with Dr. Gabor Maté to explore the material more deeply
- Over 240 hours in total of engagement with peers, online facilitators, live Zoom calls with Dr. Gabor Maté, and video recordings
View the Course Outline.
How You Will Benefit:
This comprehensive Compassionate Inquiry course will help you:
- Develop 9 essential qualities within yourself to be an effective therapist
- Practice 9 experiential breathing exercises to enhance personal development
- Benefit from practical tools including the Compassionate Inquiry Map and the chart of Feelings vs Perceptions
- Learn how to maintain safety in the therapeutic container
- Become more aware of the verbal and non-verbal cues of your clients
- Learn the 7 Pillars of Compassionate Inquiry
- Learn and practice the 22 skills required in Compassionate Inquiry
- Discover and master the cycle of 17 Stepping Stones used in the line of inqury
- Become more effective in working with clients
- Nurture compassion for all parts of yourself and others
- Free yourself from unconscious beliefs that run your life
- Connect to your in-the-present-self
- Become more attuned to both the messages from your body, and to your clients
Who You Will Meet:
You won’t complete this journey alone. Along the way, you’ll have constant support from and contact with others, including:
- Your course facilitator, during 25 bi-weekly meetings, 90 minutes each
- Dr. Gabor Maté, during regularly scheduled group Zoom calls for Q&A
- Your online cohort of appoximately 18 other health professionals
- Your pod of 6 others with whom you will practice CI throughout the year
- The larger CI Community through a closed Facebook group
How You Will Connect:
You’ll have opportunities every week for multiple chances to work with others to successfully propel you along in your journey. Connections include:
- Weekly 60 min practice sessions on Zoom with members of your pod
- Bi-weekly 90 minute Zoom sessions with your course facilitator
- Discussion group and Facebook group with the larger CI community
- Regular group Zoom calls with Dr. Gabor Maté, for Q&A. The first 4 of these are scheduled for Thurs Jan 31, Thurs Feb 21, Thurs Apr 11, and Thurs May 16, 2019. Calls will be recorded and recordings emailed to you afterwards.
Your Commitment to Mastery:
The program only works if you work on it! As part of this select group of individuals, you’ll need to:
- Dedicate a minimum of 2-4 hours a week engaging with the material and practice
- Read the online course material pdfs and watch the videos of Dr. Gabor Maté teaching and modelling CI
- Complete the short quizzes for each video in each module
- Attend weekly 60-90 minute skill building sessions with your peers, practicing the elements of Compassionate Inquiry, for a total of 5O sessions or more within the year
- Be prepared for your bi-weekly group meeting by answering the home practice questions provided for each module
- Attend 25 bi-weekly 90 minute Zoom group calls with your online facilitator and maintain at least 80% attendance
- Complete at least 25 case study forms
- Record 5 videos of you practicing Compassionate Inquiry with clients or peers
- Complete a comprehensive Competency Assessment Form for yourself and for 3 other members of your pod (self-assessment and peer assessment)
Certification guidelines can be found here.
Start Dates: January 14, 2019; April 18 2019: or August 12, 2019
CE Credits are pending and will be announced when available.
Course Fee: $3500 CDN (plus applicable tax) if paying in one payment; $3800 CDN if paying in 6 payments with the following amounts due on these dates in 2019: Jan 2 $800; Feb 1 $600; Mar 1 $600; Apr 1 $600; May 1 $600; June 1 $600.
Application Process Now Open
Applications for the 2019 Compassionate Inquiry Professional Online Training are now being accepted. Our goal is to bring compassion, respect, acceptance, insight, healing, freedom and connection to humanity through an international community of skillful Compassionate Inquiry practitioners.
The Compassionate Inquiry Professional Online Training is an intensive graduate level certification program designed to enhance the skills and effectiveness of professionals already working with clients. Applicants must be professionals currently in practice so that the skills learned in this program can be applied and developed further throughout the year long training. Applications are approved on a case-by-case basis.
Who May Apply?
- Mental Health Professionals: psychologists, psychiatrists, psychoanalysts, psychotherapists, somatic therapists, social workers, counselors, marriage and family therapists, expressive arts therapists, addiction counselors, guidance counselors etc.
- Medical and Alternative Medicine Professionals: medical doctors, nurses and nurse practitioners, occupational therapists, physical therapists, chiropractors, emergency medical workers, surgeons, obstetricians, midwives, acupuncturists, naturopathic doctors, Ayurvedic practitioners, osteopathic doctors etc.
- Bodyworkers: massage therapists, Rolfers®, Craniosacral and Polarity therapists, Feldenkrais practitioners, yoga therapists, etc.
- Others: educators, life coaches, mediators, clergy, chaplains, First Nations elders etc.
- You must have liability insurance to cover counselling, with the exception of First Nations elders
Applications are now being accepted for all three programs. The application deadline for the January program is December 21st, 2018. Applications received by December 15th will be reviewed first and given priority. You will be notified if you are accepted by December 30th.
If you are accepted into the January cohort, registration and course fees are due by Jan 2, 2019, or your place will be offered to someone else.
This application is to confirm your eligibility. There is a $50 non-refundable application fee. If you are not accepted into the January cohort and meet the criteria for eligibility, you will be invited to register for the April or August cohorts after January 15, 2019. We will keep your application on file for future consideration.
We are pleased to offer 25 course fee subsidies for the January training to professionals who work with people, and otherwise could not afford to attend. Subsidies are available to discount your course fee by either 50% or 75%, depending on need. If you qualify to apply for a subsidy and can commit to the dedication required for this training, please click the link below.